Coronary Heart Disease (CHD)
Heart Disease remains the No. 1 cause of death in the US, according to 2018 data.
• CHD accounted for approximately 13% of deaths in the US in 2018, causing 365,744
• According to data from 2005 to 2014, the estimated annual incidence of heart attack in
the US was 605,000 new attacks and 200,000 recurrent attacks. Average age at the first
heart attack was 65.6 years for males and 72.0 years for females.
• Approximately every 39 seconds, an American will have a heart attack.
• From 2008 to 2018, the annual death rate attributable to CHD declined 27.9% and the
actual number of deaths declined 9.8%, but the burden and risk factors remain
• The estimated direct and indirect cost of heart disease in 2016 to 2017 (average annual)
was $219.6 billion.
• Heart attacks ($12.1 billion) and CHD ($9.0 billion) were 2 of the 10 most expensive
conditions treated in US hospitals in 2013.