Adolescent mental health
- One in six people are aged 10-19 years.
- Mental health conditions account for 16% of the global burden of disease and injury in people aged 10-19 years.
- Half of all mental health conditions start by 14 years of age but most cases are undetected and untreated(1).
- Globally, depression is one of the leading causes of illness and disability among adolescents.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death in 15-19-year-olds.
- The consequences of not addressing adolescent mental health conditions extend to adulthood, impairing both physical and mental health and limiting opportunities to lead fulfilling lives as adults.