Statistics About Diabetes
- Prevalence: In 2015, 30.3 million Americans, or 9.4% of the population, had diabetes.
- Approximately 1.25 million American children and adults have type 1 diabetes.
- Undiagnosed: Of the 30.3 million adults with diabetes, 23.1 million were diagnosed, and 7.2 million were undiagnosed.
- Prevalence in Seniors: The percentage of Americans age 65 and older remains high, at 25.2%, or 12.0 million seniors (diagnosed and undiagnosed).
- New Cases: 1.5 million Americans are diagnosed with diabetes every year.
- Prediabetes: In 2015, 84.1 million Americans age 18 and older had prediabetes.